Thursday, February 3, 2011

RM 4 Ang Pau is very special for me

Ever since I started working, I never get green packet (similar like Ang Pau - a packet containing money given out during festive season) during Hari Raya celebration anymore. Instead, I would give to kids and old folks.

What I like about Chinese New Year is that I would get red packet (Ang Pau) :-)

Every year, four of us ( my siblings and I ) would get Ang Pau from Mei Mei's grandmother, my neighbor who stay on the same floor as us. Last time, she took care of her granddaughter, Mei Mei and her grandson, Mei Mei's brother. We called her "Nenek Mei Mei" (Mei Mei's grandma). Mei Mei and her brother used to be my little sister's playmates. But a few years ago, Mei Mei and her brother had moved to stay with their mom.



For the past few years, we've got RM 2 or 3 or sometimes even RM 5. Although the amount is very small but it is very special for me.

Let me tell you why it's so special.

Every Chinese New Year, Mei Mei's grandmother will knock on our door carrying plastics bags containing not only oranges (a must) but also biscuits, chocolates, moon cakes or "kacang cap tangan" (nuts). She will gave them to us together with 4 red packets, one for each of us.

For this year, we received 2 plastics bags: one containing oranges and another with a pack of Munchy's biscuits, a bar of Cadbury chocolate and a pack of Solivites drinks and of course they come with 4 red packets of RM 4 each.

Now you see how special it is, right?

This is what I would say as "1 Malaysia". She showcases the spirit of neighborhood regardless of race and religion. In return, we will invite her to our house for a feast during Hari Raya celebration.

I am wishing a very prosperous "Gong Xi Fat Cai" to all Chinese in Malaysia :-)

P/S: This year would be the last time I would get the red packet from her because we are moving to our new house in a few months. I will definitely miss this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...